"Summer summer summertime...Time to sit back and unwind..." As the lyrics of this song come rushing to mind, I get excited about all of the potential adventures that come with summer.
Summer brings exciting opportunities to apply your fitness and to enjoy being outdoors! The opportunities to actively put your fitness to use while enjoying nature, competition, and community. So I thought I would start brainstorming a list of ideas to apply your fitness while enjoying the outdoors this summer! I have also added some indoor options for when the heat wins!
I tried to keep it practical by only including items that can be accomplished during a day trip or a weekend. As much as I would love to take a trip to an exotic this summer to celebrate and enjoy being healthy and fit it is not on the calendar this year. Additionally, where I could I added local or local-ish locations and opportunities.
1. Obstacle Course Races
There are many each summer that offers a variety of difficulty to cater to various fitness levels.
All of the listed runs offer events in or reasonably close to Oklahoma.
2. FInd the water!
This category is packed with activities and when the heat sets in being on or in the water might be the only viable option at times!
- Whitewater rafting in OKC: - I have not been to this facility, but it is definitely on the summer adventure list! The OKC Riversport adventures also offer an impressive live of activities ranging from rafting to ziplines.
- All things on the lake! With the right access and toys, the lake offers everything from paddleboarding to wakeboarding. If you are like me, however, and do not own any lake toys, I have found that you can rent boats and other toys from outfitters on or around the lake generally at a reasonable price. - Here is a list of the "top" 15 lakes in Oklahoma to get you started.
- River Rafting & Tubing - Locally the Illinois River is a popular destination
- Paddleboarding is tough! Just learning to stand on the board is tough but when you incorporate the paddle it can be pretty frustrating to learn, but very fun at the same time. It is a great physical activity to try while on the lake or beach this summer. Here is a list of 5 great places to try paddleboarding in Oklahoma.
3. Pick a weekend and go exploring!
The wildlife areas and state parks in Oklahoma and surrounding states make for great exploring and physical activity. They offer biking and hiking trails, climbing, and in some locations caving within a reasonable distance and price. Here is a list from Travel Oklahoma of the top 10 state parks.
- Turkey Mountain in Tulsa is an awesome location for biking, hiking, and trail running. For some, it may be one of Tulsa's best-kept secrets. Even though on a nice weekend it is generally very busy.
- Rent a cabin. Cabin rental is a great way to experience the outdoors with some convenience and they range from rustic to luxurious.
- If you have the right toys Little Sahara State Park is a great place for off-roaders and ATV enthusiasts. Additionally, around the parks, there are outfitters where you can rent equipment needed.
- Pro Tip: Check out this book; The Most Scenic Drives in America. This book is a great resource for finding great locations for outdoor activities. The book helps in planning a scenic road trip filled with some adventure.
- Consider visiting Arkansas. The natural state has some awesome scenery and outdoor activities.
4. Be physical in the city and maybe even with some air conditioning!
At times your gonna have to beat the heat. Here are a couple of options to stay active and enjoy some air conditioning.
5. Take part in outdoor sports.
Take part in outdoor sports by finding clubs or leagues that cater to summer sports such as biking, volleyball, soccer, and tennis. A quick google search you can find options for all of these activities in Tulsa.
- The Bartlesville Pedlars generally have organized rides throughout the summer.
- Tulsa Sports and Events has leagues for sand volleyball, basketball, coed kickball and softball starting soon or this summer.
- City of Bartlesville Youth & Adult Sports is officially not as impressive as Tulsa's options but it may provide some ideas.
- Disc Golf courses are all over Oklahoma! According to this list, there are 114 of them open to the public! Disc golf also offers leagues and tournaments throughout the summer.
6. Paintball & Airsoft both offer opportunities to run, jump and shoot!
- Apparently, the largest paintball event in the world takes place in Oklahoma! The event takes place during the second week of June every year in Wyandotte, Oklahoma and draws as much as 4,000 players. The event is a week long and is played over 600 acres of field. Seriously check this out!
7. Go, Treasure Hunting!
Geocaching is essentially a treasure hunt using GPS. All over the world, people have hidden different things in containers (a geocache) for other people to find. With GPS enabled equipment (like your phone) you hunt for the geocache to find whatever has been hidden. Use apps and sites like the Geocaching.com, to get started. At the time of this article, there are 171 geocaches (or adventures) within 10 miles of my home!
What did I miss? What should I add to the list?
If you found this helpful or appreciated the references likes and shares are appreciated.